Largely consisting of negative painting these gum blossoms were a whole new adventure and took me nearly a week to complete. We have a lovely flowering gum in our front yard, which is rather small with only a small bunch of gum blossoms on it, so If I would have cut the only flowering branch it would have been bare and not so lovely. My only option was to study it with a few sketches and make the most of it.
My impatience stopped me from planning it properly so apart from my preliminary sketch I made it up as I went along. I learned a lot through the experience, what works and what doesn’t, and ultimately when I should have stopped altogether. Can’t wait to start again with a little more planning. 🙂
This watercolour and ink painting measures 10.5 x 14.5 inches and is on Waterford Saunders CP 300gsm.